The Journal of Fourier Analysis and Applications
Applied and Numerical Harmonic Analysis
Now in Print!
Excursions in Harmonic Analysis:
The February Fourier Talks at the Norbert Wiener Center
Welcome to the Norbert Wiener Center for
Harmonic Analysis and Applications!
The golden age of Mathematical Engineering is upon us.
The Norbert Wiener Center, in the Department of Mathematics
at the University of Maryland, College Park, reflects the importance of
integrating new mathematical technology and algorithms in
the context of current industrial and academic needs and problems.
The Norbert Wiener Center has three goals:
Mathematical Engineering in the 21st century is analogous
to Mathematical Physics of the 20th century. Applied harmonic analysis
and its theoretical underpinnings form the technological basis
for Mathematical Engineering. The Norbert Wiener Center advances
research, education, and interaction for this emerging field.
John J. Benedetto,
Overview of the Norbert Wiener Center by Director John J. Benedetto.
Who is Norbert Wiener? Discover the impact of the man's work to the mathematical community.
- Congratulations to KAITLYN TULEY HOOD on being named a NSF Mathematical Sciences Postdoctoral Research Fellow!
Kaitlyn was a Daniel Sweet Undergraduate Research Fellow of the NWC in 2008.
- It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Horst Elmar Winkelnkemper,
see Elmar Winkelnkemper, In Memoriam.
- Congratulations to KATHERINE CORDWELL on being named a 2016 Goldwater Scholar!
Katherine is a Daniel Sweet Undergraduate Research Fellow of the NWC working with John Benedetto.
- The Sloan Foundation announced that MATTHEW HIRN is a 2016 Sloan Research Fellow. As a graduate student at UMD, Matt was an integral part of the
Norbert Wiener Center, and he wrote his Ph.D. dissertation under the direction of John Benedetto and Kasso Okoudjou. He is presently an Assistant
Professor at Michigan State University. CONGRATULATIONS, MATT!
- Save the Date! The 2017 Februrary Fourier Talks will be held on Feb. 16th and 17th, 2017!
- Check out the upcoming Orthogonal Polynomials and Special Functions 2016 Summer School!
- It is with great sadness that we announce the passing of Ying Wang, our mathematical daughter (Joe Lakey was her thesis adviser), granddaughter, and sister -- a beautiful part of La Famiglia, see Ying Wang, In Memoriam . She died on September 23, 2015.
- Congratulations to our NWC students Matt Begue ('16), Chae Clark ('16), Gokhan Civan ('15), Karamatou Yacoubou Djima ('15), and Paul Koprowski ('15), James Murphy ('15), Dan Weinberg ('15) for having very successful PhD defenses.
- Videos of select talks from the 2015 February Fourier Talks are now available here. Thank you to all who participated in FFT2015.
- The University of Maryland undergradute team in the Mathematical Modeling Competition was declared a Meritorious Winner. They finished in the top 7.5% of teams that submitted their problem and was one of 27 teams in the United States declared Meritorious Winners. Congratulations to all!
More about the Harmonic Analysis Community...